As I said in my post about the Polk Audio Legend L100 speakers, I first came across the $1599 Denon PMA-1600NE Stereo Integrated Amplifier at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. It was the amp they used to support the L100 demo, and it piqued my interest because it had been so long since I heard one.
Denon played a big part in the early development of my audiophile palate. As an audio salesman in the 90s, it was a major brand in the store I worked at. We carried a lot of their gear, ranging from their inexpensive stereo receivers up to their crazy expensive separates. I loved their stuff and sold a lot of it.
Because of that, I was gifted one of their stereo receivers. I paired it with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond bookshelves and learned a lot about hi-fi, including soundstage, placement of speakers, etc.
I eventually passed that receiver on to a cousin, but I’ve always kept a soft spot for their audio gear, even purchasing one of their massive A/V receivers many years after that. Because of this, I requested the PMA-1600NE. I wanted to hear what they’re doing today.
The 1600NE is head and shoulders above the stereo amp I had in my house all those years ago. It’s their top of the line integrated, with 70w per channel into 8 ohms (140w into 4 ohms) plus a built-in USB DAC with support for 32 bit PCM and 11.2 MHz DSD.
It’s a beast of a component that weighs almost 40 pounds. I darn near threw my back out, picking it up off the porch. I wasn’t expecting it to be that heavy! Nobody builds stuff like that anymore. Well, I guess Denon does.
Built like a tank…old school
Love the smooth controls
Laid-back sound, not too forward
- 70 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.07% THD
- 140 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- 4-ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- built-in DAC supports high-resolution audio files
- DAC master clock eliminates digital jitter
- Advanced AL32 Processing Plus enhances compressed digital files
- built-in phono preamp compatible with moving coil and moving magnet cartridges
- Source Direct mode bypasses tone control circuits for cleaner sound
- Analog Mode disables digital circuitry for warm all-analog sound
- Advanced Ultra High Current single push-pull circuit power amplifier
- front-panel display shows source and sample rate
- internal chassis with six independent blocks eliminates interference between circuits
- front-panel tone controls (treble and bass)
- 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio inputs
- stereo RCA audio outputs for recording
- rear-panel Type-B USB supports high-resolution PCM files up to 32-bit/384kHz or 11.2 MHz DSD
- built-in headphone amplifier with full-size (1/4-inch) jack
- binding posts and front-panel A/B switching for two pairs of speakers
- signal-to-noise ratio: 108 dB (line in), 89 dB (moving magnet), 74 dB (moving coil)
- remote control included
- 17-1/8″W x 5-5/16″H x 16-5/16″D
- weight: 38.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
Buy Here: AMAZON-Denon PMA-1600NE Stereo Integrated Amplifier | Up to 140W x 2 Channels | Built-In DAC and Phono Pre-Amp | With Type-B USB Input for High-Res PCM Files | Analog Mode | Advanced Ultra High Current Power